Sunday, June 30, 2013

No Sitter...Not So Bad

 It was really nice hanging out last night one on one with Jake and no sitter. We went for a walk outside, ate our dinner together, read a bunch of jokes, played some games, listened to music and watched a movie. He would have gone to sleep at 6:00 pm had I let him, so we just kept busy. The new medications and lack of sitter seemed to work pretty well. He still woke up quite a bit but was able to get back to sleep more quickly. The one thing I discovered is that he is talking in his sleep. There were a few times he called out to me and when I got to his bed, he was asleep. After that, I would try and answer him from my bed and only get up if he called a couple of times. 

We're trying to keep him up and in his wheelchair as much as we can, but his tailbone seems to be causing him a lot of pain and sitting makes it worse. We've been trying to figure out why it hurts him so much and can't come up with anything. It really hurts when he's sitting, but he also complains of pain when he's lying in bed. It was hurting him so much today in OT/PT, he didn't have a very good session. We've asked the Physical Therapist and the Dr's and no one can figure it out either. There is the possibility that part of it is his fixation phase that he's going through, but my gut tells me it's really hurting. We're going to tackle it more tomorrow.

This morning we were working with his new hand brace and drumstick and I had him squeeze both my hands. He had slight finger movement in the thumb, first and second fingers. It was the most movement we've seen in his hand which was pretty exciting. We've been told that big muscles come back first and work their way down to the fingers and toes, so seeing some finger movement already was a great sign.

One of the funny things that happened today.... He asked me to have Todd bring him his flashlight. When Todd got there and gave it to him, he turned it on and said "The next time a Dr. or nurse shine their flashlight in my eyes, I'm going to shine mine in theirs. They do it all the time and it's annoying." 


Specific Prayer Requests:

1. Healing and pain relief for his tailbone

2. Continued improved sleep patterns
3. Comfort and peace for Jake as he goes through this extremely tough process

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh - that flashlight story cracks me up! So pleased to have Jake's personality coming back. :). In our thoughts and prayers daily. --Sarah Hogan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog by a comment that my cousin Tad posted on facebook and ever since I have been following along and keeping Jake and his family in my prayers... He is one lucky little boy to have such caring and loving parents... Allisyn Hartman

    ReplyDelete