Friday, June 14, 2013

Two Weeks In


Jake had a much more restful day than he had yesterday, which we all needed. They've had his head hooked up to the  EEG all day so they can monitor his brainwaves to watch for any type of seizure activity. His stats stayed pretty even throughout the day and he did not have that same spike he did the past two days around 5:30 which was a relief.

Jake got his staples out today! Any guesses how many? 49, I figured we needed to save them. He may or may not want to see them down the road but at least I have them.

Over the past week, they have really cut down on his sedation/pain meds, so when he's awake, he's much more aware of the breathing tube, tape on his face, itches, general irritations, etc. While the awareness is a good sign, I'm sure it's very frustrating for him. For those of you that know Jake, he's a huge fan of the band Rush. During one of his more restless episodes tonight, I turned some Rush for him. Now one would think (myself included) that Rush would not have a calming effect, but surprisingly it did. I tried it a couple different times with the same result so we'll see if it continues.


Todd and I have really been debating about sharing a picture of Jake while in the ICU.  While we see him everyday, I don't see the machines, wires, tubes, and swelling...I see the Jake we know and love. We didn't want him seen in a helpless, "injured"state, so we've held off. I took this yesterday after his bath before they took out his breathing tube. His swelling has gone down a lot and even with the breathing tube in his mouth and feeding tube in his nose, he just looked peaceful to me, so we decided to share.

All in all it was a good day and we are 14 days further into our journey to get him past all of this and back to playing his drums again.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting! He truly looks peaceful in this picture. Lifting him up!

    ReplyDelete