Monday, June 10, 2013

Day 10 - Evening

Todd and I both got a tough dose of reality today. While we are so thankful for the progress Jake has made during this critical first 10 days, we realized that the next phase of slowly weening  him off the sedation, meds and ventilator is going to be really hard emotionally and mentally. Jake was a little more alert then he has been and was opening his left eye a little, but he was also a little agitated. It was wonderful to be able to ask questions and get a thumbs up for yes and a fist for no, and but along with that came frustration on his part not being able to communicate. I saw him trying to open his mouth to talk, and yanking his right arm trying to indicate something (He's got a loose arm restraint so he can't pull on his tubes).

We're realizing that as we go through this next few weeks, he's going to become more and more aware of his current limitations, may be in pain, and may be scared. As parents all you want to do is protect your kids and take away their hurt and in this case we can't. All we can do is reassure him that we are there for him, but he is going to have to feel that pain and frustration and that stinks. In my taking things day by day, I hadn't allowed myself to see that in order to get better, he's going to go through some rough time.

So that brings me to my prayer requests for today:
- Pray for Jake to go through this next phase with minimal pain and fear
- Please pray for strength for Todd and I to stay positive, give Jake what he needs and recognize when we need a break so we can come back stronger.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dana and Todd,

    I am Lisa's friend Amy. I just wanted you to know your family is in my thoughts and prayers. My heart breaks for what Jake is going through and what Todd, Luke and you are endearing along with Jake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan and Todd,
    You and your family are and will continue to be in our prayers.I have friends all over the country added to our prayer requests.
    I know how hard it is as a parent to watch and not be able to "fix" your childs hurt.You are wonderful parents and will get thru this with Gods help.Give Luke a hug for me and Jakes hand a squeeze.Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry left off the a.

    ReplyDelete