Saturday, June 22, 2013

Sweet Loving Jake


I hadn't intended to post again today, but am amazed at the improvement in Jake's speech just since yesterday and wanted to share. He continues to get louder and is about at half his normal volume unless he's tired, then he gets much quieter. When the speech therapist came this morning, she had to completely reset their goals since he's already made so much progress . He doesn't have a lot of inflection in his voice yet, but unless he's really frustrated, it's all said with a very sweet tone. It's so nice to hear him talking again. Here are some of the things he was saying today:
  • I didn't like that sitter last night, she was annoying (the hospital provided someone to come and sit with Jake in our room last night to help when he got restless so I could get some sleep)
  • I love you mom, I wouldn't trade you for anyone.
  • The therapists made me work too hard, I was sweating.
  • I miss Haley and T (his two favorite nurses from ICU), they washed my hair a lot.
  • Mom I just want to eat some of the food you or Dad make
  • Thank you for taking such good care of me while I'm in the hospital.
  • My right butt cheek is itchy, only my right, not my left.
  • I want my bone flap back, I don't like that it's missing.
  • Dad are you going to be my "sitter" tonight? (and "sitter" was said with air quotes, so funny)
  • I didn't mean to pull out my tube, I was itching my nose, it was an accident.
  • Don't be weird Dad.
  • Thank you for taking me to the hospital.
I was explaining to Jake a little more about why he's in the hospital, how long he's been here, that 4th grade is done, etc. I asked him if he remembered the night we were getting ready to go the carnival at the school. He says to me "Yes, I was outside and my head started hurting and I came in and told you I had a bad headache." I was stunned. I didn't think he would have remembered. I then filled in the blanks on a high level and that's when he thanked me for taking him to the hospital. Love that boy to pieces.

I was a bit overwhelmed this morning, but tonight am again so thankful to have that little boy in my life. Underneath everything going on, he is so sweet and loving. I got hugs all day today from him (I think part of it was a way to get to take his arm brace off, how can I say no to "Mom, I want to give you a hug"). My tank is refilled, my battery is recharged, and  I can’t wait to see him again tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. That is so wonderful! I love the sentences that he is speaking! He is precious. Continue to take one day at a time and remember how far he has come in 3-4 weeks. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jake is incredible and so are you!

    ReplyDelete