Friday, July 5, 2013

Engaging the Left

It's amazing to see how Jake is learning to use his right side to help his left side now that the left side is more engaged. Today in therapy they had him link his hands together so he could use his right arm to help his left arm hit a ball. There is no way he could have done that two or three days ago and I just happened to catch it on video. :-)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp0trF1SdO8&feature=youtu.be

We aren't seeing as much of what's happening in therapy since the first half hour is now just the therapists and Jake. I think I mentioned a few days ago that I thought I might be causing a distraction. They tested it out on Wednesday by having us come in half way through and he had a much better session. While I hate not being there, if it gets him where he needs to be faster, I can stay away.

I also just realized that his fixations have really mellowed. It dawned on me after being at the hospital all day yesterday that he's doing it much less than he was. Now he'll quietly lay in bed and rest without the constant repetitiveness and questions. The big thing we still need to conquer is his sleeping. At most, he gets one 4-5 hour stretch during the night and the rest is in two hour chunks. I'm confident it too will get resolved with time.

No comments:

Post a Comment