Monday, May 30, 2016

Three Year Anniversary

On the eve of Jake's three year anniversary of his stroke, I have a hard time believing three years have already passed. There are things I can remember about that night like it was yesterday. Others I don't remember at all until I go back and read them here. He has come so far since May 31, 2013...

I was going through some pictures the other day looking for something from his 4th grade year and started going through all the video and pictures we took in the hospital. More than one tear streamed down my cheek, he was in such bad shape. I have people ask me how we got through those three months in the hospital and it was literally one day at a time. I do remember making a very conscious effort to focus on what was happening that day and forcing myself to not get overwhelmed with all the "what next?, what if's?" that would pop into my head. There were so many unknowns and the only way to not make myself crazy was to celebrate the small victories each day and not worry about what was coming tomorrow, next week, next month, next year.

This past year has presented some new challenges in his recovery. The biggest being his growth spurt. I've talked about this off and on and the impact it's had on his walking. When I think back to last July when he was starting to walk more and more without his leg brace and how well he was doing, the difference is pretty shocking. The botox isn't lasting as long or is as effective which brought us to take him to the Gait Lab at Children's a few weeks ago. Tuesday Todd and I will meet with the doctors and PT's to go over the results and discuss the options of where to go from here. I have a feeling I know what's going to be recommended and it's not going to be an easy road...I'll share the outcome of our meeting in the next blog.

Jake finished 7th grade on Friday. A couple of weeks  ago he was chosen to receive an award at the annual middle school awards night. (You may remember he got recognized for band last year at the same ceremony.) This year, he was honored for his efforts in Math. It was kind of funny, after the ceremony, he said to me "I'm not sure why I got the award for Math, it's not my best subject." I explained to him that the award wasn't about who has the best grades but about how hard you try and the effort you put in. I talked to his teacher a few days later and she told me that he consistently participates in class as well as group work and just doesn't give up. I truly believe his persistence is a big part of why he's come as far as he has in his recovery.

All in all, it's been a good year. Jake has continued to make progress albeit a bit slower, but we're told that's normal. I tried to cut back on the support I was giving him with homework and staying on top of things. There were still times that assignments didn't get handed in or he needed reminding to check in with teachers, but from what I hear from some of my friends, that's typical for a 13 year old boy. :-) We still encounter new obstacles every so often, but seem to find ways to overcome them. I think this next year present a whole new set of challenges...it will be his last year of middle school and decisions will need to be made about high school. I also suspect his growth spurts will continue to hinder his overall muscle tone.

Bottom line, we are so incredibly proud of him and feel very blessed.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dana, even though I didn't know Jake in elementary school, I shed a tear just reading this post. I've been amazed at his progress the past two years in middle school and I know 8th grade will be a BIG transition year - but Jake (and you and Todd) will persevere......

    ReplyDelete