Sunday, November 30, 2014

Thankful

As I sat down tonight to write the blog, I was feeling overwhelmed with gratitude and thankful for so many things, some big, some small. First and most important, I am thankful for my family and that we are all still together as a family of four.

I am also thankful...
...for a very hands on husband who is truly my partner and not just my spouse (and the fact he helped me clean up the disaster I made of the kitchen today). 
...for my parents who have always been there for my brothers and I no matter what we needed.
...for all of our extended family who are patient and supportive, especially on days when things don't go as planned or I am having a really bad day and get a bit cranky.
...for the sound of laughter that has been heard in our house all day long as the boys played together. I can't remember hearing this much laughter in one day in a really long time. It simply fills the heart.
...for friends that seem to know when to check in.
...for the therapists and various caregivers who have come into our life, they genuinely care about Jake and have gone above and beyond doing things to help him recover.
...that our boys talk to us and share their thoughts, feelings, frustrations and concerns.
...that my Christmas cards and shopping are almost done.
...that I got to spend the afternoon in the kitchen baking bread and healthy treats for my family.
...that I get to look out my office window and see everyone's Christmas lights.
...that each week my calendar remains full with taking Jake to his various appointments since it means that therapy is working and he is continuing to make progress in his recovery.
...for a job that allows me to work from home and a boss that is extremely flexible with my schedule. 
...for the love felt in our household on a daily basis. Whether it's a hug or a "Mom, this is really good!" at dinner. 
 ...for the staff at both the boy's schools.
...that Luke seems to be handling all these changes to our family much better. 
...that Jake has adjusted better than expected to middle school. 
...that Jake has good friends that have stuck with him through the past year +.
 ...that the "good times" jar we started last January is stuffed full of slips of paper noting the good times we've had this past year.
....that all of our family lives fairly close. The holiday shuffle can be tough at times but I'm thankful we have families that value spending time together. 
...for all of you who care so much about Jake and his journey that you are still reading his updates a year and a half later.
I could go on and on but suffice it to say, I feel very blessed and fortunate to be living the life I'm living.

No comments:

Post a Comment