Sunday, April 5, 2015

Spring Break

The boys were on Spring Break this past week and we decided to take the opportunity to go visit my grandpa who recently moved from Oregon to Las Vegas due to his declining health. Both my uncles live in Vegas and my parents have been there for the past two months helping him transition to a skilled nursing facility. It's been a pretty bumpy road the past few months so this was a last minute trip and unfortunately Todd had some critical things going on at work so it was just the boys and I.

While the main purpose of our trip was to see my grandpa and my parents, we tried to get in a few fun things for the boys too. The weather was really nice the first few days, so my uncles took us out to Lake Mead for some boating. It was the boys first time on a boat and the loved it.

It's so interesting how different our boys are. They were this way before Jake's stroke, but their differences are just more pronounced now. Luke is much more adventurous and would have jumped in the lake at the dock if I let him. He road in the front of the boat where it was the most windy and wet, he was also the first one to get pulled in the inner tube. Jake on the other hand is far more cautious and needs to really think things through first. He wasn't going to even wear his swimsuit since he had no intention of getting wet, sat in the back of the boat a bit more protected and took a long time (and a little bit of convincing) to decide he wanted to try the tube. I was so afraid if we left the lake and hadn't tried it, he would regret it. The water was pretty cold, but they both ended up having a really good time.

They also got to have a guys night out with my dad, uncle and cousin and went to the Medieval show at the Excalibur. They serve pretty big portions of food with no silverware, then watch a jousting match. Jake had jokingly told me earlier in the day he was going to sneak a fork in his pocket (he gets very concerned about germs), so I was surprised when my dad told me Jake just tore into is food like he hadn't eaten in three days.

It was a pretty quick trip but I am so glad we were able to go. We got to visit with my grandpa every day and even took him and Jake for a walk with both of them in their wheelchairs. I was so proud of how patient and well-behaved the boys were when we were visiting him. They didn't complain about being bored or ask when we were leaving, instead they answered his questions (which were often repeated) and just hung out with him. Luke said to me as we were leaving that "Grandpa is a really nice man, I'm glad we got to visit him." Made my day.



No comments:

Post a Comment