Sunday, May 25, 2014

Walk-a-Thon

Jake made me one very proud momma this week,he never ceases to amaze me. Friday at school they had their annual walk-a-thon to raise money for the specials department (art, music and PE). The goal is to walk as many laps as you can in 30 minutes, 16 laps equaled a mile. We had talked quite a bit in advance about how Jake was going to deal with it this year, and he decided he would walk a few laps, then get on the adaptive bike to finish out the half hour. He had PT on Friday morning and was telling his therapist about it and that his goal was to walk ten laps. Good for him to set a big goal, but I was thinking finishing five would be great before he got tired and switched to the bike. The walk was set up on the grassy area of the playground and with all the rain we'd had over the past few days the bike wasn't an option, it would have been too hard to pedal on the grass. Jake and I talked for a minute and I told him to just do what he could and if needed to rest, no big deal. 

The first half of the walk, I was volunteering and marking the cards on kids backs as they finished each lap. Jake didn't always come through my line, so I lost track of how many laps he had completed. After I was done with my time slot, I went and walked a few laps with him. When I looked at the card on his back and it said he had already completed nine laps in about 15 minutes I was shocked. I spent the rest of the time on the sidelines, watching him make lap after lap, he was grinning the whole time. A lot of the kids were running or focused on completing as many laps as they could, but a few of his friends 
slowed down and did a couple of laps withe Jake. He ended up completing 18 laps. Jake, who has had days he could barely walk at all, walked over a mile in a half hour. I stood there watching him and cried. I couldn't help it, I was so proud of him. 

The other very exciting thing happening for Jake next week is a much needed break from therapy. His PT's want to do an intensive six week strength training three times a week this summer and suggested we give him three weeks off prior to starting. Todd and I talked about it and decided to take it one step further to see about giving him a break from all appointments. I talked to his OT and acupuncturist about taking a break from those as well, and they were both on board. Other than when we were on vacation for a week, this is the first big chunk of time he'll have had off since he started rehab in the hospital last June. For three full weeks,he'll go to and from school on the bus, doesn't have to leave early or come in late due to therapy, and gets to be a regular kid. His time and energy can be spent enjoying all the end of year activities as his time in elementary school comes to an end. He is so excited. I would say it's time well deserved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment